Donate to a Local Charity
Donora Historical Society
The mission of the Donora Historical Society and Smog Museum is to preserve, research, interpret and promote Donora history through cooperative continuing educational relationships with individuals and institutions; focusing on causes and effects of the 1948 “smog” tragedy and its impact on global environmental concerns and issues.
Programs and Services
- Donora Historical Society (DHS) was established in 1946 and is recognized as the oldest historical society in Washington County, PA. Donora Smog Museum opened in 2008. DHS and the Smog Museum, along with Cal U of PA, have partnered with the Library of Congress and their Teaching with Primary Sources (TPS) program. DHS has lent the Library of Congress their Bruce Dreisbach glass plate negative collection and had some of them digitized to be used as primary sources. We are also a Heinz History Center Affiliate.
- The purpose of the Donora Historical Society and Smog Museum is to be a primary resource for students and researchers of Postmodern Industrial History and the 1948 Smog Disaster. To that end, we annually assist dozens of individuals and groups fulfilling academic requirements, papers and projects, commercial print and broadcast media, social, fraternal and service organizations and clubs and individuals in search of personal advancement.
- We also serve people in search of family from the great Donora Diaspora. Our reach and footprint is world-wide: China, South Korea, India, Denmark, France, England, Spain, and all over the United States.
- We promote tourism and cross-spending in Donora, by hosting visitors from around the tri-state area who attend our Cement City Home and Walking Tours and Eldora Park Walking Tours.
- We host school groups, as well as professional organizations, for custom tours of our museum and town. We also help authors, magazine writers and university groups with various projects. We hosted the Heinz History Center's travelling Civil War exhibit in 2015 and will host the travelling WWII exhibit in 2020.
Primary Revenue Sources
memberships, donations, fundraising
Primary Fundraising Event
|Federal Tax ID||23-7278382|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.nccs.urban.org.