Donate to a Local Charity
Meals on Wheels of Peters Township
The mission of the organization is to provide a hot nutritious meal to anyone who has difficulty shopping for food or preparing meals, regardless of income. The service is provided primarily to senior citizens with service to others in special needs situations
Programs and Services
- Our main service is to deliver healthy meals to seniors, but we also provide a daily safety check through a short visit. We alert a family member if we see any problem. For many of our elderly, homebound clients who don't have relatives nearby, these daily visits from a friendly volunteer are crucial to their overall well-being.
- Hot nutritious meals help keep seniors healthy and in their own homes longer, reducing the need for costly nursing home care. In 2016 we delivered approximately 46,300 meals in our wide service area: Peters Twp., Finleyville, Canonsburg, Houston, Muse, Lawrence, Hendersonville, and parts of Eighty Four, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, Bridgeville, and S. Fayette. We serve individualized diets for diabetics and those with food allergies or other dietary issues.
- Over 250 volunteers work with us to prepare, package, and deliver the meals. High school students can earn service hours through work with us or baking for us. The community also supports us through food donations from Trax Farms and Simmons Farm, Panera Bread, Heisler's Market, and Bartram's Bakery.
- Our fees are modest so that most seniors can afford them. We do not turn anyone away for lack of ability to pay, and we offer discounts for clients with financial difficulties. We look to the community to support the food and operating costs above what our clients can pay. We do not receive any government funding.
- Since 2009, our facility has been located above the Peters Township Fire Department on E. McMurray Road. We will be moving to a new home in Donaldson's Crossroads before the end of 2017. Donations are needed to support relocation and building expenses, in addition to rising food costs. For updates and photos of our work, visit www.Facebook.com/MOWPT
Primary Revenue Sources
Client fees, corporate foundation support, donations, small grants.
|Federal Tax ID||26-1575091|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.nccs.urban.org.