Donate to a Local Charity
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation is a private, non-profit educational organization that encourages the preservation of buildings, landmarks and structures deemed representative of the culture, architecture and history of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Programs and Services
- We promote our Mission by educational programs throughout the year, with speakers and tours of significant sites - reflecting their importance built around a specific theme each year. These have included historic farms, one-room schoolhouses, log structures, churches, river towns, and most recently Underground Railroad sites. We have exhibits furthering these themes at our headquarters on the fairgrounds during the annual Agricultural Fair in August.
- We offer an ongoing program that recognizes those structures which best represent our county's history in architecture, person or event. Property owners may apply for this recognition, and if approved are certified as a Historic Landmark, with the option of purchasing a Landmark "L" plaque.
- Free consulting services are offered to property owners seeking advice on preserving/restoring their historic structure. Restoration workshops have been held in the past.
- Printed materials are available for purchase, such as "Preserving Our Past: Landmark Architecture of Washington County, Pennsylvania." Also available are several full-color brochures developed out of surveys conducted by WCH&LF in Washington County: Log Buildings, Farmhouses, Barns, Outbuildings, One-Room Schoolhouses and Churches. These publications were supported by local grants and are free to the public.
- Files on historic properties, as well as books and other materials pertinent to the Landmarks mission are maintained at our headquarters in the 1806 stone John White farmhouse located on the county fairgrounds. The Charlotte Lane Memorial Library honors the late Mrs. Lane who was a co-founder of WCH&LF and served as the director of Washington-Greene Tourism Agency for many years.
Primary Revenue Sources
grants, membership & donations
Primary Fundraising Event
WCCF Gives Day
|Federal Tax ID||25-1385645|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.nccs.urban.org.