Trustee Responsibilities Policy
Washington County Community Foundation Policy on Trustee Responsibilities
Individuals who have been elected to serve on the Board of Trustees are community leaders who have demonstrated an interest in public service, who are available to engage actively in the governance of the Foundation, and who subscribe to the Foundation’s charitable mission. The role of the Trustee is to serve in an oversight capacity, working within the committee structure of the Foundation. The specific responsibilities of the Trustees are as follows:
- To ensure that the Foundation’s activities and transactions are, first and foremost, advancing its mission; to recognize and disclose conflicts of interest; to make decisions that are in the best interest of the Foundation, not in the best interest of the individual trustee or any other individual or entity (Duty of Loyalty).
- To take care of the Foundation by ensuring the prudent use of all assets, including facility, people and good will (Duty of Care).
- To ensure that the Foundation obeys applicable laws and regulations; follows its own bylaws; and that it adheres to its stated corporate purposes and mission (Duty of Obedience).
- To evaluate on a regular basis:
- The Foundation’s effectiveness in accomplishing its mission and goals;
- The role and performance of the CEO on an annual basis;
- The effectiveness of the allocation of resources;
- The effectiveness of individual Trustees and the Board of Trustees as a whole.
- To establish and oversee:
- Institutional policies;
- Personnel policies;
- Systems for fiscal responsibilities.
- To oversee the acquisition and allocation of funds by:
- Defining investment goals;
- Monitoring the management of investments;
- Approving the Foundation’s overall Development Plan;
- Making a personal contribution to the Foundation on an annual basis;
- Helping to secure contributions to the Foundation from others.
- To take responsibility by:
- Ensuring that there is a mission statement;
- Ensuring that there is a strategic plan;
- Overseeing the implementation of the strategic plan;
- Attending Board meetings, committee meetings and activities;
- Participating in special projects;
- Helping to recruit volunteers.