Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh
The promotion and education of astronomy.
Programs and Services
- April - November the Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh (AAAP) provides free public entertaining educational astronomy observing events (star parties) at its Mingo Observatory, Mingo Creek County Park, Washington County as well as at AAAP's Wagman Observatory, Deer Lakes Park, Allegheny County. Mingo Observatory offers a 10" refractor, 24" Ritchey-Cretien and a 6" Lunt Solarscope, science center-like displays and a planetarium with 20'dome projection for skyshows and lectures.
- In addition to the clubs fixed telescopes star parties share the telescopes of its members, who generously transport their personal equipment to the observing hill for the purpose of sharing the wonders of the sky. Members take their observing equipment beyond the observatories to schools, parks (national,state,county,municipal), veterans hospitals, nursing homes, public events, regional meetings of science societies, etc.
- Beyond the Mingo Observatory and Wagman Observatory's annual scheduled public events AAAP offers private events for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, home schoolers, science classes, and other organized groups to enjoy the observatories in focused educational programming.
- AAAP was founded in 1929 and has more than 300 members providing the public and its members opportunty to practice and enjoy astronomy and lifelong learning. Through astronomy it emphasizes STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics). STEAM adds an "A" to STEM and surely applies to the astro-images shared by AAAP's astro-photographers. AAAP members have joined as uninitiated or novices and have grown to national and international renoun. AAAP shares their experience with the public.
- AAAP serves as a public resource on astronomical events such as eclipses, meteor showers, planetary positioning, sunspots, etc. AAAP often stages special observatory events for these occasions. Television and print reporters often consult AAAP about astronomy events in the news. AAAP's website and social media update the public and its members on current astronomy and NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) events.
Primary Revenue Sources
Membership Dues, Grants and Donations
Primary Fundraising Event
|Federal Tax ID||25-1339244|
|Address:||P.O. Box 314 - Mingo Observatory, Mingo Creek County Park|
Glenshaw, PA 15116
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.