Charleroi Area Historical Society
PURPOSE: To organize, preserve, record all available historical info about local area, early settlers, achievements, contributions. To record the rise of early businesses, industries in photographs, records, other memorabilia/items from the past in a permanent location so that it will be available for posterity. To promote fellowship of all persons interested in the objectives of the Society. To encourage the younger generation of the community to appreciate the contributions of early inhabitants and instill in them a desire to help the community and save the gifts and memories the past has to offer. To encourage and preserve community spirit. To cooperate with other historical societies in the Mon. Valley to preserve all historical landmarks and communities. MISSION: " .... shall be to provide a coherent history of the area, preserving its artifacts, collecting its memorabilia and to pictorially preserve in photograph and writing its history, people and events."
Programs and Services
- The CAHS, Inc. strives to fulfill all elements of its Purpose & Mission as noted above. The Society has assisted with Heritage-Tourism oriented projects in varied ways, by donations of time, money, support and hands on labor intensive efforts. We have a very active FB history education site that others interact with, have provided educational programs, also have done preservation projects, such as the Louis Goaziou Print Shop where volunteers have interacted with the public per appointment, etc.
- We were very involved in trying to save the Coyle Theater Project, doing all that we could over a number of years, supporting, meetings, including hands-on labor intensive efforts, of which community volunteers contributed much in monetary contributions, in kind donations, and much more.
- We have been also involved in community affairs, always trying to showcase the history of Charleroi and its surrounding area towns and township, in particular Fallowfield, which once comprised a larger area than is currently known, as well as the areas lying along the banks of the Monongahela River.
- The town of Charleroi has a Nat'l Register of Historic Places status, made up of historically significant buildings and homes in a large (almost the whole town) Historic District, that is located from one end of town (N/S) to the other, from the RR up to the lower part of Crest, with a 2nd State noted part from the end of town to the other end beyond to Oakland Ave.
- The State so noted Charleroi's Historic District Status (1st Step) in 1985-86. The CAHS, Inc. w/the help of an expert, obtained the 2nd Step (inventory of all involved) in Nov. 2007. Sadly, too many do not understand the import of this high status, especially when the Historic District is literally its town's "Living Museum" of period architecture & hometown of Gov. J. K. Tener when he rose to fame in PA. https://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/PA/Washington/districts.html
Primary Revenue Sources
Donations, dues & In-Kind donations
Primary Fundraising Event
Annual requests for donations
|Federal Tax ID||25-1330993|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.