Donate to a Local Charity
Meals on Wheels of Peters Township
The mission of the organization is to provide a hot, nutritious meals to anyone who has difficulty shopping for food or preparing meals, regardless of income. The service is provided primarily to senior citizens with service to others in special needs situations.
Programs and Services
- Our main service is to deliver healthy meals to seniors, but we also provide a daily safety check through a short visit. We alert a family member if we see any problem. For many of our elderly, homebound clients who don't have relatives nearby, these daily visits from a friendly volunteer are crucial to their overall well-being.
- Hot nutritious help keep seniors healthy and in their own homes longer, reducing the need for costly nursing home care. In 2017 we delivered over 40,000 meals in our wide service area: Peters Township, Finleyville, Canonsburg, Houston, Muse, Lawrence, Hendersonville, and parts of Eighty Four, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, Bridgeville, and South Fayette. We serve individualized diets for diabetics and those with food allergies or other dietary issues.
- Over 250 volunteers work with us to prepare, package, and deliver the meals. Most have been with us for many years. Both men and women find this volunteer work very fulfilling. High school students can earn service hours through working with us in the summer or baking for us. The community also supports us through food donations from Trax Farms and Simmons Farm, Panera Bread, Heisler's Market, and Bartram's Bakery. Needless to say, we serve wonderful desserts!
- Our fees are modest ($5-$6/day, depending on meal plan), but many of our seniors find them too high and ask to go down to 2-3 days a week instead of 5. We are distressed by this. We do not turn anyone away or cut anyone off for lack of ability to pay. We offer discounts to a number of seniors, but we look to the community for donations to cover the costs of the food for those clients. We have never received any government funding in our 44 years of service.
- In 2017, we moved into our new home in Donaldson's Crossroads Mini Mall. We are in the process of changing our name to Meals on Wheels @ the Crossroads to reflect our new location. We have benefited for many years from a generous corporate funder, who is now moving on to fund other valuable programs. As a result, we need to make up a substantial hole in our budget. We are hoping that current funders will continue to support our work and new corporate and individual funders will join them.
Primary Revenue Sources
Client fees, Donations, Grants
|Federal Tax ID||26-1575091|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.