Donate to a Local Charity
South Hills Pet Rescue and Rehabilitation Resort
To rescue and rehabilitate animals in the Southwestern Pennsylvania region.
Programs and Services
- The mission of SHPR is to rescue, rehabilitate, and re-home dogs of all breeds, with all needs. Nick Ferraro, a professional dog trainer purchased South Hills Pet Resort, a boarding and training facility in 2012. Ashley Rittle was having a hard time with her dog, and reached out to Nick to request his training services. Little did either of them know the adventure that lied ahead; they were married in June 2013.
- Two months later in August, they were asked to help a local animal rescue that had been overwhelmed with dogs pulled from high-kill shelters set to be euthanized for behavioral issues. Nick and Ashley agreed to take in 13 dogs, but 62 dogs were dropped off at their door filling all of the Resort’s kennels. Nick and Ashley cared for all 62 of these dogs in need, rehabilitating them before finding each dog a home. Ashley will tell you this is the moment they knew what they had to do.
- Today, South Hills Pet Rescue, an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, houses an average of 70-100 rescue dogs at all times. Since 2013 SHPR has rescued, rehabilitated and re-homed over 3,000 dogs. The number of dogs rescued has increased significantly each year. In 2018, SHPR intake rate increased by 26.9% over 2017 and the adoption rate increased 23% over 2017.
- The shelter must successfully plan to meet the needs of all incoming dogs. Staying true to our mission “Saving All Breeds with All Needs” we have established a position among high kill shelters, Human Officers and the community that we accept the challenge of animals that have these problems. Taking these dogs in allows us to place an emphasis on reducing euthanasia and increasing our adoption rate.
- South Hills Pet Rescue also takes in dogs rescued from South Korean dog meat farms by the Humane Society of the United States. SHPR rehabilitates these dogs and enables them to find their forever home.
Primary Revenue Sources
Adoption fees, donations, fundraising and grants
Primary Fundraising Event
Annual Spaghetti Dinner
|Federal Tax ID||46-5444195|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.