Donate to a Local Charity
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation is a private, non-profit educational organization that encourages the preservation of buildings, landmarks and structures deemed representative of the culture, architecture and history of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Programs and Services
- We hold educational programs throughout the year with speakers and tours of significant county sites - reflecting their importance around a specific theme each year. These have included historic farms, one-room schoolhouses, log structures, churches, river towns, participation in the Underground Railroad and most recently the National Road. The results of these events are displayed at our headquarters - the John White House - at the Washington County Fairgrounds during the annual fair in August.
- H&L has an ongoing program that recognizes those structures that best represent our county's history in architecture, person(s) or event. Property owners are encouraged to apply for "Landmark" status which recognizes that importance to our heritage, and can further be enhanced by the purchase of a metal "L" plaque to signify this designation.
- Free services are offered to assist property owners seeking advice on preserving/restoring their structures. Restoration workshops have been held in the past and are planned for the coming year.
- Printed materials are available, such as "Preserving Our Past: Landmark Architecture of Washington County, Pennsylvania," for purchase; and several full-color researched brochures that highlight various aspects of our county's structural history, namely: Log Buildings, Farmhouses, Barns, Outbuildings, and One-Room Schoolhouses, in addition to our organization profile that includes information on our history, office location, contact information and overview on past programs and events.
- Files from our many-year Survey of Historic Structures are maintained at our headquarters at the 1806 stone John White House, located at the fairgrounds. These and a collection of books and other printed material are kept there in the Charlotte Lane Memorial Library, named for our co-founder who also served for many years as the director of Washington-Greene Tourism Agency.
Primary Revenue Sources
Memberships and donations
Primary Fundraising Event
WCCF Gives Day
|Federal Tax ID||25-1385645|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.nccs.urban.org.