Greater Washington County Food Bank (Food Helpers)
To form lasting solutions to hunger insecurity through effective food distribution systems; to educate and empower the needy in seeking positive lifestyle changes; and, to create awareness through individual and community partnerships.
Programs and Services
- Food Helpers is Washington County's leader for helping those who are fighting against hunger. Over 37 years, our non-profit organization has provided programs distributing supplement food and nutritional information/education to food insecure residents of Washington County.
- The USDA and Feeding America estimate that there are about 26,000 food-insecure people in Washington County, PA. While there are many great food support programs, it is also estimated that roughly 46% of the food insecure population may not be eligible for traditional, government-funded food programs. It's hard enough to ask for help, but to then be turned away is unthinkable. This is where Food Helpers steps in, to offer aid, education, and resources for this forgotten group.
- The FARM is a community-supported agricultural enterprise that strives to provide healthy produce for those in need while promoting education, empowerment, and sustainable agriculture. The Farm is located at the 24-acre property of the Greater Washington County Food Bank, with the function and capabilities of growing fruits and vegetables for the clients the Food Bank serves.
- Fun and exciting things are in the works for our educational/instructional space. Our kitchen area is getting an ANSUL system upgrade, thanks to a generous grant from the Washington County Community Foundation. Once completed, Healthy Habits Training Center will be returning to instructional classes. In addition, Healthy Habits Training Center will begin offering new classes in addition to cooking classes.
- Country Thrift Market is to support the community by providing affordable goods and training while also supporting the Greater Washington County Food Bank fight against food insecurity. Offering new and gently used items, CTM has something for everyone!
Primary Revenue Sources
Individual donations and foundation and corporate grants.
Primary Fundraising Event
|Federal Tax ID||23-2939247|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.