Highland Ridge Community Development Corporation
To improve the educational, academic, social and economic climate of the community, to become a safer, cleaner, more beautiful and prosperous place to live, work, worship and play.
Programs and Services
- Of our two main programs, HR's Staying Green has thrived over the past year with expansion in its Neighborhood Garden, providing rental plots at low cost for planting vegetables, fruits and herbs. Highland Ridge Park, a shaded green space with picnic tables and benches, located adjacent to the Garden, provides a relaxing outdoor place for area residents.Other facets of SG are large flower planters throughout the City maintained by our members; and the Mayor's Park, temporarily inaccessible.
- HR continues its partnership with Canevin HS students and parents who give a week of volunteer gardening and small repairs. We've had several programs in the garden this past summer, with presentations on beekeeping, butterfly gardens and individual planting with Washington SD middle schoolers, and all age groups from LeMoyne Community Center's Camp Challenge. Each prepared a spot and selected a vegetable seedling to transplant while getting their hands in the soil. More is planned for 2022.
- A reflection of the climate in the HR Neighborhood Garden was shown with the loss and untimely death of a 82-year-old faithful gardener, who enhanced the environment with her hard labor and positive attitude. In keeping with the prevailing family atmosphere, one of her middle-school granddaughters has expressed interest in adopting her plot. Another example is the 90-plus mom and her senior daughter who attend to multiple plots of vegetables, producing many shades of greens (and reds)!
- Our other main program, Mending Fences, that provides home repairs for owners qualified by age, income, possible disabilities and veteran status, helps them remain safely in their homes. While able to help two elderly women, this past year proved very frustrating for our organization and clients. It was difficult to find qualified contractors willing to offer bids. In late 2021, it was decided that our emphasis going forward would be on Staying Green until circumstances changed.
- As the great outdoor efforts are continuing to expand and grow, Highland Ridge Community Development Corporation is looking forward to once again working with other non-profits to provide home improvement for those needing help in our community. Volunteers are ALWAYS welcome!!!
Primary Revenue Sources
WCCF Gives Day and private donations
Primary Fundraising Event
WCCF Gives Day
|Federal Tax ID||25-1874378|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.