- Home »
- Charity Search »
- Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania “Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village”
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania “Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village”
To preserve and present regional history.
Programs and Services
- Since prehistoric times, people have adapted to the land and shaped their environment in order to survive and build a better life. This story of human history in western Pennsylvania is explored at Meadowcroft through archaeology, living history, and museum programs utilizing the unique resources of the site.
- The museum preserves the Meadowcroft Rockshelter archaeological site, a National Historic Landmark and the oldest site of human habitation in North America, for current and future generations to experience.
- Meadowcroft provides a wide variety of public programs, exhibits, living history experiences and other outdoor learning opportunities for a diverse audience.
- Meadowcroft's educational programs serve 10,000 school children annually from the Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia tri-state area. These programs provide hands-on experiences for students in history and STEM education which meet state educational standards.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, with school students staying at home, Meadowcroft and the Heinz History Center staff worked to produce History at Home educational resources for parents, educators, students and the general public. (https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/learn/history-at-home) Meadowcroft's virtual tour of the Rockshelter using GigaPan technology was included in the National Trust for Historic Preservation's list of destinations with distinctive virtual tours.
Primary Revenue Sources
Earned revenue (admission, shop sales, facility rentals, gas revenue); foundation and government grants; corporate donations; individual gifts; endowment.
Primary Fundraising Event
Annual History Maker's Award Dinner
|Federal Tax ID||25-0965391|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.