Literacy Council of Southwestern Pa
The mission of the Literacy Council of Southwestern PA is to empower adults and families with literacy skills that enable them to lead successful, fulfilled lives as members of our community.
Programs and Services
- Adult Basic Education services provide instruction in reading, writing, and math to low-level literacy adults seeking to improve their skills. As a basic education program for adults, it embraces the “Each One, Teach One” philosophy of individual tutoring to help our students. Whether a student’s goal is to achieve functional literacy, improved job skills, or the ability to help their children with homework, we are prepared to help learners to achieve these objectives. These services are free.
- English as a Second Language (ESL): We provide free ESL classes to all adults whose first language is not English. High quality teachers, tutors, and classroom materials are free to all students. We are the only agency in Washington County that provides free adult ESL services. Tutors and students meet weekly throughout the county in various libraries, Zoom, and other public locations.
- Citizenship Preparatory Class: For those who are seeking American citizenship, free preparatory classes are offered. These classes cover the topics present in the United States Naturalization Test as well as intensive speaking and language skills preparation for the oral exam portion. Class, book, flash cards, and all other materials are provided free of charge.
- Baby Book Bags (BBB): The BBB program has been in existence since 1994 and was founded by then Executive Director, Helen Crunick. The program encourages new mothers to begin reading with their infants soon after birth. Every baby born in Washington Hospital goes home with a book bag containing a suitable baby book, literature on the importance of engaging babies in reading from birth, early childhood literacy intervention information, and local library locations.
- General Equivalency Diploma Preparation & Post-Secondary Scholarship: This program offers students who have not completed high school an opportunity to obtain their high school equivalency diploma. Classes are available in 4 counties. Students are able to attend classes free of charge, & once they have completed them, obtain free vouchers to take the exam. We provide certified tutors who can offer 1-on-1 support in the classroom. Students who excel in classroom may apply for a $500 Scholarship.
Primary Revenue Sources
Grants, Asks, and Fundraising Events
Primary Fundraising Event
|Federal Tax ID||25-1620790|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.