Monongahela Main Street Program
The Mission of the Monongahela Main Street Program is: to strengthen the historic West Main Street business district, to achieve "a Thriving Downtown and a Fully Engaged Community," using the National Main Street Program's Four-Point Approach (TM).
Programs and Services
- The Monongahela Main Street Program (MMSP) is all about revitalization of the West Main Street business district. Our Organization follows the 4-Point Approach, balancing Promotion of downtown with Design improvements. As we get the word out about how exciting, active, and attractive our downtown is, we are also building a revitalized local Economy. We emphasize grass-roots involvement from local citizens: We focus on bringing people back downtown to rebuild it as the center of the community.
- Perhaps more than any other local organization, we promote cooperation between the 50 or so other groups that sponsor hundreds of events and activities in our downtown area each year (about 900 scheduled activities in a typical year). Rather than competing with these groups, we look for ways encourage cooperation, promoting what they are already doing and working with them on joint projects. We encourage everyone to see a successful downtown as an important aspect of their involvement here.
- We keep track of things. We gather information on all the buildings and businesses downtown so we can help create a unified effort. We have contact data on available spaces, demographics, photographs, historical material, etc., for when businesses are looking for a place to locate. We report to City Council, the Chamber, and about ten other organizations each month. We also represent Monongahela at Main Street network meetings, PDC conferences, heritage summits, and similar events.
- We have some great projects and we emphasize youth. Our active Mon. Youth Main Street Program (M.y. Main St) holds an annual summer street fair. Each October, we hang 60 freshly carved jack-o-lanterns from utility poles along West Main Street in time for the Halloween parade. The project raises funds for us, but also involves about 100 people: local sponsors, young families helping us carve them at the library, etc. We buy supplies locally, and we use carved symbols to represent local events.
- The Monongahela Main Street Program is the local member of the Pennsylvania Downtown Center (PDC), a statewide non-profit organization. The PDC gives us access to the trademarked ideas of the National Main Street Center (NMSC), part of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The NMSC's Four-Point Approach model is at work now in over 1,600 towns across the U.S. Our involvement with the PDC also connects our town to what's happening at the state level and in other PA downtowns.
Primary Revenue Sources
Primary Fundraising Event
"Avenue of the Hanging Jack-O-Lanterns" project each October
|Federal Tax ID||81-1368144|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.