Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation
Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation is a private, non-profit educational organization that encourages the preservation of buildings, landmarks and structures deemed representative of the culture, architecture and history of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Programs and Services
- Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation sponsors Preservation workshops, such as historic window repair, and helps with research on historic home documentation, and identification of "obsolete" farm outbuildings . We conduct guided tours of pertinent locales in Washington County, including historic districts (Scenery Hill, Centerville, Cement City, West Middletown etc.) We honor property owners who file for Historic Designation and provide metal L-plaques for display on their structures.
- Since its inception in the early 1970s, we have conducted several countywide surveys that record in photo and written description properties with building dates preceding one hundred years. Results from this data reflect patterns of settlement and name early settlers in our region. A few retain their original layouts as shown in the 1876 Caldwell's Atlas of Washington County.
- WCH&LF answers questions from governmental agencies required to identify historic sites involving construction projects such as public roadways and realignment of transportation links, etc. If using federal or state funding, this is mandatory.
- We work closely with other historical groups to enhance our knowledge of Washington County heritage and in return work together to gain information needed by them. This exchange travels beyond our immediate borders.
- Landmarks goes beyond architecture in bringing our county history to light by experiencing that which is still visible rather than read on a Historical Marker.
Primary Revenue Sources
Participation in fundraising events such as National Road and Whiskey Rebellion festivals and County Fair; memberships/donations
Primary Fundraising Event
WCCF Gives Day
|Federal Tax ID||25-1385645|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.