Clarke Carlisle graduated from Cecil High School and matriculated at both Washington & Jefferson College and the University of Pittsburgh, where he studied analytical chemistry and metallurgy. He also graduated from Western Pennsylvania Horological Institute in Pittsburgh, with a degree in watch‐making.
In 1938 Clarke worked in the chemical laboratory at Universal Cyclops Steel and continued his work there through the Korean War, when the plant was on war production footing, and rose to the position of assistant chief chemist. In 1956, he was hired as the chief chemist of Jessop Steel (now a part of Allegheny Technologies). He retired from the steel industry in 1975.
A graduate of Trinity High School in 1938, Betty lived her entire life in Washington. She was a member of the First Christian Church of Washington and was a bookkeeper for Citizens Bank.
Clarke and Betty married in 1968, both having had been married previously. The couple had no children together, but Clarke had one son to his first wife. For a time Clarke and Betty operated a watch repair and jewelry store in Washington. Betty died in March 2007. Clarke died in January 2008.
The Betty R. & Clarke M. Carlisle Fund, which was initiated from the Estate of Betty Carlisle, will provide grants to the First Christian Church of Washington, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, and Immaculate Conception Church.