The Dr. Wilson B. & Merne E. Pizzi Fund was created by Dr. Wilson & Merne Pizziʹs children, as a lasting tribute to their parents.
Dr. Wilson B. Pizzi was born February 18, 1918 in Connellsville, PA. He was a 1935 graduate of Connellsville High School, a 1938 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, and a 1942 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh Medical School.
On July 16, 1938, in Oakland, MD, he married Merne Elizabeth Haggert. Mrs. Pizzi was born March 8, 1919, in Dunbar Township, Fayette County.
Dr. Pizzi began his internship at The Washington Hospital in 1942. He was associated with Dr. W.J.L. McCullough for a short time, then entered into private practice. Mrs. Pizzi worked as a secretary for her husbandʹs medical practice in Washington. The practice was interrupted when he was called to serve as a United States Army physician with the rank of Major.
In 1964, he completed his residency in neurology at Georgetown Medical Center. Dr. Pizzi was a member of the staff at Washington Hospital, Canonsburg Hospital, Uniontown Hospital, and Greene County Memorial Hospital. He was a member of the American Medical Association, Pennsylvania Medical Association, Washington County Medical Society, and the American Neurological Society.
Both were members of the First Baptist Church of Waynesburg. Mrs. Pizzi was a former deaconess and Dr. Pizzi was a Lay Pastor, former deacon, and taught Sunday School.
Mrs. Pizzi was a member of Order of the Eastern Star of Washington, a past president of Washington County Medical Auxiliary, a volunteer for Greene County Memorial Hospital, a past secretary for the Red Cross in Waynesburg, and a member of the Waynesburg Womenʹs Club. She was one of the founders of the Womenʹs Bowling League of Washington and was inducted into the Washington Bowling Hall of Fame posthumously.
Dr. Pizzi was very active in scouting, having been the first scout from the Connellsville area to become an Eagle Scout, and he was a founder of the Washington Greene Trails Council. He was a member of the B.P.O.E. in Waynesburg and Washington, as well as the Lions Club.
The fund will support charitable organizations in Washington County.