The McBride‐McMaster Fund was created by Dr. Gilbert B. and Margaret McBride McMaster to provide support and guidance to the needy in Washington County and to preserve and promote the history of Washington County.
Personal friend and former WCCF Trustee Janet Abernathy reflects, “Gilbert was very well liked at the Washington Hospital—and well respected—and Margaret could truly be described as a ‘community‐minded’ person.”
Dr. McMaster, son of Gilbert C. and Grace Brown McMaster, was born on September 5, 1913. As the son of a physician, Dr. McMaster aspired to follow in his father’s footsteps – caring for others no matter when or where he was needed. He was a graduate of Washington & Jefferson College and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (Class of 1939).
A 20‐year veteran of the United States Army, Dr. McMaster served as a battalion surgeon in Hawaii, Okinawa, and the Philippines during World War II and cared for long‐term causalities at a military hospital in Virginia during the Korean War.
Locally, Dr. McMaster worked as an anesthesiologist at Allegheny General Hospital, and later, the Washington Hospital until his retirement in 1988. He passed in February 2007 at the age of 93.
Margaret McBride McMaster was born June 10, 1915 in East Washington, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Dr. J. Edwin and Kitty Pew McBride.
During her life, Margaret was very active in the community. She served as a Board Member of the United Way, a member of the Washington‐Peters Township Area League of Women Voters, a member of the Washington County Historical Society, a member and President of the Washington County Medical Auxiliary, and a Board Member of the Easter Seal Society. She passed in May 2005 at the age of 89.