The Brownson House*
The mission of the organization is principally to raise the moral and civic standards of the community through recreational and educational activities.
Programs and Services
- The Brownson House is a recreation facility established in 1926. We have two facilities located in the city of Washington, Pennsylvania. The Brownson House is located on Jefferson Ave., our other facility is the Vernon C. Neal Sportsplex. It is located in the Washington Park on Dunn Ave. We provide a variety of youth and adult athletic programs for the greater tri-state area. Our focus is to offer outstanding recreation opportunities at a cost that all families can afford.
- The Brownson House offers the following programs at our Jefferson Avenue facility. Two season of girls youth basketball, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Approximately 75 teams play in both leagues. We have about 25 teams that participate in the Fall league, which runs from September until the end of November. The Spring program usually has 45-50 teams playing. This league operates in the months of March and April.
- The Brownson House also has a boys youth basketball league that uses the gymnasium from December to the end of February. In 2018-19 season we had 67 teams involved from school districts throughout Western Pennsylvania, Northern West Virginia and Eastern Ohio. We also organize a high school league in the Summer for boys and girls athletes from 7th grade through 11th grade. These leagues offer recreation to 45 teams from the greater tri-state area.
- The Vernon C. Neal and the Brownson House offer youth and adult flag football seasons throughout the year. The Vernon C. Neal recreation center plays host to the majority of the games. Leagues are offered in the Fall, Winter and Spring for youth from 6 to 14 years old. Adult leagues and tournaments are available from November until April. 30 teams participate per season in the adult leagues and 45 youth teams are registered throughout the 3 seasons. Participation numbers continue to grow yearly.
- The Vernon C. Neal has In-Line Hockey and girls high school volleyball leagues in the Summer months. In-Line hockey has two seasons that run from May until September. The Volleyball league starts in June and finishes at the end of July.The Brownson House has a boxing club and a karate club that operate all year long. Both organizations work in conjunction with local school districts and non profits. Camp laugh-a-lot utilizes the Vernon C. Neal every Summer. Schools use the facility's gym class.
Primary Revenue Sources
Membership Fees and Admission Fees
Primary Fundraising Event
Cash Bash and Golf Tournament
|Federal Tax ID||25-0965444|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via irs.gov.