The Brownson House, Inc.
The Brownson House and Vernon C. Neal Sportsplex provide quality youth and adult recreation, and character development through team effort in Washington, Pennsylvania, and the tri-state area.
Programs and Services
- The Vernon C. Neal Sportsplex offers two sessions of indoor soccer in an artificial grass facility. Fall and winter sessions have approximately 140 teams in ages from 8 and under to adults, for boys and girls. Participation numbers for both sessions is about 1,200. Soccer rentals also make up a significant of amount of facility usage. Local travel and cup teams use the facility as a training center throughout the winter months. The Brownson House offers a league for children 6-10 year old in the fall.
- Both facilities offer flag football leagues. The VCN Sportsplex has adult leagues that run from September to May, with about 75 men's and women's team playing. The Brownson and VCN offer youth leagues from September until the end of April. About 420 student-athletes participate. Three co-ed sessions are offered (fall, winter, and spring). Leagues offer an alternative to tackle football. It is a way to introduce football to children without the contact of other football activities.
- The Brownson House has four sessions of basketball leagues available to boys and girls, from first graders to high school juniors. The fall and spring leagues are for girls. About 20 teams play in the fall and 40 teams in the spring. Around 500 girls are active in these two programs. Boys winter basketball has approximately 60 teams with about 600 children participating. The summer league for high school players has 70 teams. We offer boys and girls junior varsity and varsity leagues.
- The Vernon C. Neal Sportsplex covers the astroturf surface with a plastic floor that permits us to offer in-line hockey leagues from May until September. In-line hockey leagues are offered in two sessions. The In-line leagues have mostly adult participants. We have seen a growth in the hockey program in recent years. We have had 20-25 teams in each session. Participation numbers are around 250 participants. The players are from all over western Pennsylvania.
- We offer a boxing program that has had success with professional fighter Matt Conway having fights in Reno and Las Vegas, Nevada. The participation numbers fluctuate, but we have 10-20 fighters training all year. We have a karate club that meets twice a week. We partner with Champion Force Cheer Leading to have classes one night a week throughout the year. Soccer Shots has classes at our facilities for children from 3 to 6 year old. These teach the fundamentals.
Primary Revenue Sources
Membership fees and admission fees
Primary Fundraising Event
Cash Bash and Golf Outing (golf outing cancelled)
|Federal Tax ID||25-0965444|
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.