Washington County Gay Straight Alliance
Washington County Gay Straight Alliance, Inc. is dedicated to affirming acceptance between diverse groups of people, raising awareness in our community of the needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Questioning, Queer, Asexual, and Allied (LGBTQA) people through support, education, and community outreach on the issues of diversity. WCGSA, Inc. provides a safe, confidential environment for individuals of Washington County and the surrounding areas regardless of sex, race, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
Programs and Services
- Provides an adult w/clearances facilitated peer group for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Questioning, Queer, Asexual, and Allied (LGBTQA) youth aged 13-20 since 2005.
- Our Health Committee has created My Health Matters, Too: Transgender Health for the Emergency Responder Training which has been presented in Washington and Allegheny Counties. We recently offered two American Heart Association Basic Life Support training classes to the community.
- Provides Education/Advocacy for the LGBTQA community by sponsoring and/or partnering with inclusive organizations to promote education, understanding, and acceptance of the LGBTQA people in SW PA. Examples: Created the Name Change Referral Initiative with the Washington County Bar Association; partnering with the SPHS STTARS Domestic Violence group on a Sexual Violence Doesn't Discriminate Project.
- The WCGSA, Inc. addresses the isolation felt by the LGBTQA community by developing and/or promoting Social Opportunities that are inclusive to a wide range of ages and interest groups to promote social and emotional health and acceptance to include sponsoring a monthly 2nd Friday Nights catered dinner, Trans Peer Group meetings, Strawberry Preserves chat/coffee 18+. We offer a virtual weekly Smart Recovery meeting. We are hosting Drag Queen Bingos, a spring picnic and a Kite Flying event.
- Until last year, due to COVID, we hosted a Transgender Day of Remembrance Candlelight Walk since 2013. This is a national Memorial day to raise awareness of violence against the Transgender Community. We planned and had to cancel a World AIDS Day Memorial event in 2020 with plans to host it again in 2021. Also due to COVID we have had to re-date our inaugural Washington PA PRIDE Festival from 2021 to 2022.
Primary Revenue Sources
Donations, Patrons, Sponsors, Ticket Sales, Raffles
Primary Fundraising Event
Drag Queen Bingos
|Federal Tax ID||46-0951929|
|Name:||Kathleen M. Cameron|
|Address:||59 E. Strawberry Ave.|
Washington, PA 15301
This website contains an organizational snapshot, as well as links and contact information, for each of our participating charities. We have also included the tax identification number for each charity so Donors wishing to review more detailed financial and governance information may access the Form 990 for that charity via www.charitynavigator.org.